1. Never sign an
exclusive contract unless they can guarantee you a set amount for
the duration of the contract.
2. Do your homework before booking any assignment. Ask for
referrals if the client is not well known.
3. Always take an escort to any assignment, but don't expect the
client to pick up the tab for your travel companion.
4. Putting snapshots (or unedited photos) online does not make you a
model. Don't expect to be paid for your time until you have a
working portfolio and have put in time learning how to model.
5. IMAGES ARE FOREVER! Before you decide to step in front of the
camera, remember you can never take it back.
6. Copyrights are given to the photographer (producer) not to the
model. You do not own the photos, even if you paid to have
them done. You only own the photos if you paid and signed an
agreement stating that you own them.
7. Read everything before you sign it, especially the fine print.
Ask questions about anything you do not fully understand.
8. If you are doing a paid shoot, make sure you remember to get paid
9. If you do anything, anywhere at any time, remember your family
will eventually see it at some point.
10. When you go to any shoot, make sure you call someone from the
location you are at, preferably from "their" phone, so someone knows
where you are at. Always check back in with someone after you
have left the location.
1. Be courteous and friendly to all
models as they are your future source for referrals.
2. Amateur photographers need to pay professional models in order to
build their portfolios. You won't get the images you need
working with amateur models.
3. Do not overexpose the models you work with as you can cost them
work. Limit you posting on free sites, forums, and show off your
4. If a model says NO, she/he means it and you should never ask
again unless they offer to do whatever it is they originally said no
5. Always include your full name, address, email and contact number
to all correspondence if you intend to be taken seriously.
6. Always get copies of two forms of ID from any model you work
with, period. Also don't forget to have them sign a release.
7. Expect to pay any model if you cancel a paid shoot. Models
take away their valuable time to set up and shoot with you and it is
actionable in court if you fail to pay them.
8. Be prepared for models escorts, they will bring them and you will
have great referrals if you provide for them as a guest.
9. So you say you've had a cancellation or no show? Stop
whining, its a fact of the modeling industry so if it bothers you
that much, maybe your in the wrong profession.
10. Constantly update your portfolio with your best work!